Tuesday, July 24, 2007

youtube videos for the teenage soul

It's like chicken soup, only better, less sodium and more attractive.

"D.A.N.C.E." - Justice


Mmmm t-shirts. I'm obsessed with this song, especially the end where it goes "under the spotlight..." SO GOOD. I've been leaning towards a lot of DJ-friendly old school sounding stuff (hello small obsession with Mark Ronson, the Go! Team, etc) and mashup-y hipster glitchy crap, and this is a definite product of that. So it's been Justice and Girl Talk all weekend. It doesn't help that I'm also obsessed with their remix of JT's "LoveStoned", which isn't even that amazing but it's still slightly better than the original.

"Give It To Me" - Timbaland feat. Nelly Furtado and Justin Timberlake



Shut up. This is the worst video ever but the chorus is so catchy. Seriously, why did they even make a video? "Oh, I guess I'll grab the camera, hold on, okay stand there..." I also like the phrase "actin' real nice". Don't ask me why.

"Glamorous" - Fergie



Yeah it's Fergie. What? I DID say songs that were stuck in my head, not necessarily GOOD songs. Actually I don't know how I feel about this song, I veer towards hating it but I do listen to it on my iPod and look around cautiously to see if anyone's looking at the screen. Certain things about this song irk and confuse me. I do despise the patois/weird accent she puts on when she sings "urban" songs. She sounds normal on that awful "Big Girls Don't Cry" song (which isn't even guilty-pleasure good), but on this song she mangles her words with the "a" vowel to make her sound more ghetto or whatever, and that really irritates me. The way she says "flossy floss"! "Flawwus-eh flawwus". Excessive use of that hard long 'A' sound. "Raangs" for rings, "thangs", "haill" for hell, "skahh" for sky, "clayuss" for class, etc. We know you don't really talk or naturally sing like that, Fergie Ferg. Don't front. I'm also confused by what her daddy told her at the end of the song. Did he tell her "if you don't got no money take your broke ass home"? If so, that's a pretty random thing to tell a child. A definite attempt at making a really profound point about the fickleness of fame, but it just clangs. Despite all this, I do realize that I partly enjoy this song because I enjoy most songs that have a clap track on it. "Glamorous" has a pretty intense one going throughout the song, and it's like gold to my ears. It's why I love Sean Paul. Yep.

A tossup between "Golden Skans" and "It's Not Over Yet" by Klaxons




This kind of goes without saying. I love the insane, campy, the-Face-magazine-circa-1984 feel their big videos seem to have. I also love them because despite the chaotic, intense element to a lot of their songs, I love how accessible and melodic they are, and these songs demonstrate just that.

Lastly,
"Nan, You're a Windowshopper" - Lily Allen


This is just an mp3 rip put on YouTube, complete with lyrics. I fucking love it. It's a parody of 50 Cent's "Window Shopper" but instead it's about Lily's cheapskate grandma. I know, I know, the jokey schtick is a bit cutesy and lame, but it's quite clever and still manages to get a chuckle out of me every single time.

No comments: