Thursday, August 9, 2007

i heard she broke your heart again

New music time.

I saw the much-blogged-about (I'm just here to add fuel to the fire) Metronomy the other night courtesy of my friend, Rachel, who's working with them right now. It's one of those times where I lack the eloquence to explain why I like a band or a song, but I can say that if they ever play the US again, I would highly recommend going to see them. They're going to be in NYC next weekend, playing at the Seaport and Studio B, and they're doing Reading and Leeds Festivals. They are good fun, Devo dancing with touch lights on their shirts, playing fun, mesmerizing music with one of the catchiest singles I have heard in a while ("Heartbreaker"). I guess I could compare it to Ratatat with a little Girl Talk thrown in with occasional vocals and jerky Devo dancing, although that seems pretty goddamn lazy so ignore that.

Metronomy used to be one dude named Joseph, doing a lot of bedroom remixing and things like that, before he started putting stuff out and eventually put together a live backing band, which is what exists today. He's been talked about for doing a remix of Britney Spears' "Toxic" (beat THAT, Mr. Ronson), Franz Ferdinand, Klaxons (who give Metronomy a shoutout in their liner notes) Kate Nash, Dntel, the Young Knives, Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly, and Dead Disco amongst others. They've got one album out, and a couple EPs, but finding them is a bitch.

I think all the blog love (just search for them on Google and you'll see what I mean) is very much justified, I'm glad I got to see them, and you should check them out. The end.


Little interview bits, "Heartbreaker", "You Could Easily Have Me", and "Are Mums Mates"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Allison,

Just saw their NY shows. Amazing! You're right, Heartbreaker is the best!

anabela / fieldguided said...

Oooh, I like the redesign! Nice banner, girl!