Thursday, August 30, 2007

justin and britney

First, the earworm:


"Lovestoned" - Justin Timberlake, Justice remix

It's just audio, but now you know the version I've been talking about. It's not the greatest thing in the universe but I really do like it. It becomes a club track, but not in a cloying, completely unrealistic way that often happens with mediocre/bad remixes. Sometimes DJs try to put the original song's melody over something they've concocted themselves (usually a bad keyboard hook), and I hate when they don't really match up, or are fine but then don't match up in certain places. Then the only things I hear are those mismatched, non-harmonious parts. Bad mashups are the worst offenders. Here, Justice actually builds on the original instrumentation (they really play with the hook done with the strings, yummy) and noise while adding their own (hello glitchy squeaks), this time playing more with phrasing. Instead of the vocals starting on the down beat (the 2nd beat in what sounds like 4/4 time), they're moved up to the first/upbeat, which changes the whole feel of the song. Instead of being smooth and sleazy, it becomes more urgent and in-your-face. Hence, good club track. The "she shuts the room down" breakdown bit is pretty great, too.

Now for his ex-girlfriend.

New Britney songs? [From TMZ] Sure sounds like it. I actually think these sound quite promising, good club tracks. If not Kylie then definitely Dannii, if you're pickin' up what I'm throwin' down here. I'm telling you, if she can pull off some insane dancey stuff like she did with "Toxic", I think things may actually work in her favor. Obviously my favorite bit is "It's Britney, bitch...." HAHAHA. I saw photos from her "video shoot" from weeks before, and if that's for either of these songs, I'd be really bummed because these songs would be such a good opportunity for her to do something really cool. But asking her to make good decisions at this point? I dunno. Like, I don't care, call David LaChapelle, for god's sake! Something! And stop putting that goddamn weave in your hair! And put on some pants!

*calms down*

I was going to make this a little less tabloid-y/pop with an indie-friendly musing but...nah.

EDIT: wait...here's a full stream of the song from Perez Hilton. It's even better than I thought! This is too good, BritBrit, don't f this up!

No comments: