Monday, August 6, 2007

i can rock it all night

I have no explanation of why this song is stuck in my head. I really don't.



"Rocket 2 U" - the Jets

It's one of those songs that I absolutely loved as a kid, taped it off the radio on my little Fischer-Price boombox and played it over and over, not knowing at all that it was about getting together and having marathon sexcapades. If that's the "only thing" they can do, like it says in the song, I think there would be some problems. Nothing against marathon sexcapades, obviously, fantastic, but you'd at least want to talk about the weather or something, or what to have for dinner. The sentiment is kind of funny: there's nothing on TV, your car's not working, your plumbing's effed up, don't call me to be your one guy friend who can fix stuff, because really I just want to fuck you, as it's the "only thing I can do". It's the epitome of 80's cheese'n'sleaze, what with the hollow-tin-can synth drums and wah-wah keyboards. I do wonder at what point in the 80's did that kind of hollow, tinny drum sound come into vogue, and why. They turned the drums down and the keyboards up, and man does that sound strange. I guess it was the backlash from the heavy prog production, or the bass-heavy disco production of of the 70's.

And now for something completely different.



"Moving Pictures" - the Cribs

I'm on a Cribs kick after seeing them at the Empty Bottle this past weekend. This was the fifth time, and I'm pretty sure the best. The other times I've seen them were when I was living in New York, and while they were all fun and great, there was always a tinge of too-cool, arms folded kind of a thing. This is mostly, upon reflection, because a good chunk of the crowd were always industry people/fashionistas. I danced so hard at this last show, and the crowd went insane by the end, guys jumping up and hugging Ryan Jarman like he was Morrissey, stagediving by both band and crowd, almost starting mosh pits. It was the kind of crowd and reaction I always wanted to see at a Cribs show, and I got it.

This song is probably one of my favorites off the newest album. I always enjoy when they take a gentler approach, and the result is always both incredibly sweet and still has somewhat of a bite, via vocal delivery. I also love how so many of their lyrics are about being awkward and not knowing how to deal with people in certain situations.
Not real brown eyes look into mine but I was so shy, it's alright
You'll sleep tonight, dream dreams where I would die, it's alright
Fakes, liars, and stars of moving pictures, what's the difference?
Like all the parts that I'm not into but I see in you

It's like an unsure, ungraceful and slightly bitter kind of sweet. My favorites are when they get super snarky, like on their album before this one. "Well how can it be to get a slap on the back from a room full of morons?" Haha.

The only thing marring this video is the presence of Cory Kennedy, but I guess that can be overlooked. It was probably the director's doing.

No comments: